Builder "removes" with alpha channel transparency for webm video when uploaded to site assets

Builder content link

Builder public api key
32d4e2c82f21445595f3161539e86035

Detailed steps to reproduce the bug

• Get a video (webm) with transparent background.
  • Upload the video to the assets folder.
  • Try to use this video any way you please. I have tried video embed, passing asset url to component etc.
  • Notice how the alpha layer/transparency no longer works

Screenshots or video link

The first video, has the transparency removed. I suspect this to do with optimisations applied at the time of upload

Code stack you are integrating Builder with
NextJS, Chrome

Hey @Simon could you please share this video with me to test it out?

Hi @sheema , thanks for the response.
You should be able to download from here.: https://2steps-staging.netlify.app/home-hero.webm.

Please note: when you click on this link, you’ll need to then download. You will also see this video with a black background. This is the body bg colour, not the video - confused me for a moment :slight_smile:

You can see the issue in action here: https://2steps-staging.netlify.app/video-test.

a tool i use to validate alpha etc is here: https://rotato.app/tools/transparent-video.

Please also note you need to test this in desktop chrome. I use a different video format for mobile/safari etc.

@Simon I was able to replicate the issue. It looks like a bug. We are working on it and will update you soon.

Thanks for the update. Looking forward to a solution :slight_smile:

Hey @Simon upon further investigation, it has been determined that the matter is considered more of a feature request than a bug. The development team has established a dedicated platform for users to propose ideas and garner support through upvotes.

To proceed, kindly submit your request on the following link: Builder.io Ideas. This platform enables our community to actively participate in the decision-making process by expressing their support through upvoting.

Hi,

Thanks for the response.

How can it be a feature request when you are “changing” the video I am uploading? If builder didn’t optimise, and then break my video, it wouldn’t be an issue.

With this response i am unable to use builder to manage videos on my client’s hero (or elsewhere). I’ll now have to a) use a different provider to host videos or hard-code the video and have the client call me each time they want to change it (for all their pages).

I am now curious how to log the “feature” request: Don’t break my video by stripping the alpha channel and removing transparent backgrounds?

This is very frustrating.

-Simon.

Hi Simon,

Thank you for your patience, Sheema and I have had further internal conversations and the removal of alpha channel is due to how Builder handles and optimises video content. I can see why this should be considered a bug.
I wanted to highlight that no other customers have reported this as an issue meaning that this is unlikely to be addressed in the short/medium term.
I appreciate this is not the answer you were expecting but wanted to give you some background to help your decision in term of options available.

I confirm the issue and yes I think it’s a bug. We cannot have transparent videos via Builder. So Simon, you are not alone :wink: