Is builder.io open-source software? Can we self-host?

Hi there.

I’ve got to know builder.io due to introduced on a tech blog written in Japanese language. It post said “builder.io is open-source software”.
Another post on Github “Awesome open-source alternatives to SaaS”, builder.io is listed as open-source software.

Although, I have been looking for install local or self-hosting docs for builder.io, but I could not find out. Strangely, if builder.io is open-source, there should be the docs for Docker, system requirements, use runtimes for example Node.js, Ruby, PHP etc…

So, “builder.io is OpenSourceSoftware” is incorrect? Is the correct fact “builder.io is proprietly SaaS software, core source code is closed. And SDKs and some stuffs are open-source.”?

This forum topic related self hosting, but it seems to be an answerer replied misguided. We know that our app can be self-hosted by us, it is so naturally. I want to find out that can we self-host builder.io it self.

2 Likes

Hey @kohki - we open source a lot of stuff, but not everything.

Currently, the main things that are closed source are our APIs and our drag and drop editor (though they are highly customizable with your own React components via plugins).

Virtually everything else we do is open source. You can read in detail what we open source vs don’t here

Re: lists we show up on, we don’t list our full platform anywhere as being open source, if anywhere you read suggests otherwise you could reach out to them for a correction

Re: self hosting, currently this is not an option we offer, but something we are considering for the future

3 Likes

self-hosting is a requirement for our key use cases. Please notify when self-hosting is available. Thx

I’m also new to builder.io. I’d like to learn more about it. Here is my website, Coding Crafts

Hi @hakeemabbas,

I hope you’re doing well. If you’re looking for assistance, I’d like to suggest checking out our official documentation. It’s a great resource that can help you get started.

Hi Steve I am building a project on digitizing catalog for a hackathon in your recent video you told you trained a model on detecting images from webpages. if you can open source that it will mean a lot because we are having very less time to complete the project.

Hi all,
We work with many governmental agencies and all of them host their solutions in an air-gapped environments. We would love to have a self-hosted solution at our clients’ premises to help us ease and quicken our development processes. Kindly please add it in your roadmap.